Designers and retailers across India are meeting the skyrocketing demand for cruelty-free clothing and accessories, and PETA India is recognising the best of the best with its Vegan Fashion Awards 2021 this World Vegan Month (November).
The winners follow:
- Best Vegan Fashion Moment: Thirty-three designers pledged to go leather-free following a letter from Lakmé Fashion Week, the Fashion Design Council of India, and PETA India.
- Best Vegan Fashion Style Icon: Actor and supermodel Milind Soman encourages his fans to keep animal skins out of their wardrobes. “No leather, no silk, no wool,” he wrote on Instagram. “No pain caused to animals just to satisfy human vanity. If you care, this is the alternative.”
- Compassionate Business Award: Luxury footwear brand Empyrean Luxury made the kind decision to stop using animal skins and switch to all-vegan materials.
- Best Vegan Kidswear Brand: Actor Alia Bhatt’s Ed-a-Mamma helps nurture kids’ love for animals and nature.
- Best Vegan Activewear: From Kunal Avanti, Daniel Weber and Sunny Leone, I Am Animal’s stylish sportswear is proudly vegan.
- Best Vegan Sneakers: Made from recycled plastic bottles and plastic bags, Thaely’s trainers are kind to the planet and
- Best Vegan Bags: The made-in-India, 100% vegan leather handbags by Qisa by Lavie were designed for today’s eco-conscious young shoppers.
- Best Vegan Wallets: Traditional Indian style meets modern animal-free materials in Zouk’s handmade wallets.
- Best Vegan Women’s Shoes: From juttis and sliders to heels and boots, Paio creates handcrafted, made-to-measure vegan leather footwear.
- Best Vegan Men’s Shoes: Monkstory offers both classic footwear and cutting-edge style, all in luxurious vegan leather.
- Best Vegan Silk: Vegan materials made by GBM Fabrics use TENCEL Luxe, a new fibre derived from renewable wood sources.
- Best Innovation in Textile: Bioleather’s tomato leather is unique, biodegradable, sustainable, and cruelty-free.
- Best Vegan Sarees: Shubam Sarees offers a wide range of beautiful vegan silk kanjivaram sarees, from the interior villages of Tamil Nadu.
- Best Vegan Cosmetics: Plum’s skin-care, make-up, hair-care, and other products are free of animal-derived ingredients and never tested on animals.
PETA entities have released numerous videos revealing that workers hit, kick, and mutilate sheep for their wool during shearing; leave goats with bloody, gaping wounds at mohair and cashmere operations; burn, and slit the throats of cows and buffaloes for leather; ram metal rods down conscious crocodiles’ spines in the exotic-skins industry; suffocate, electrocute, and bludgeon animals to death on fur farms; and boil silkworms alive to produce silk.
PETA India also notes that turning animal skin into garments requires massive amounts of energy and dangerous chemicals that damage the environment. The 2017 report revealed that leather, silk, and wool are among the most polluting materials in fashion.