The dark hour is upon us!
Not Doomsday, but Earth Hour, which falls on Saturday, 25 March, at 8:30 pm – 9:30 pm this year. It’s the hour that people around the globe turn off their lights to help the planet.
So what do you do when everything around you is plunged into darkness for one whole hour? Think, of course!
Here is some food for thought – five facts from PETA about our planet, just for Earth Hour. Please share them with your family and friends:
- A UN report shows that raising animals for food generates more greenhouse gases than all the cars, trucks, trains, ships and planes in the world combined.
- The UN report concluded that the meat industry is “one of the … most significant contributors to the most serious environmental problems”.
- The Live Earth Global Warming Survival Handbook states that “refusing meat” is “the single most effective thing you can do to reduce your carbon footprint”.
- Chew on this: it is estimated that it takes nearly 9,500 litres of water to produce 1 pound of meat, whereas growing 1 pound of wheat requires only 95 litres.
- All Earthlings deserve compassion and respect.
With so many compelling reasons to go vegan, tell everyone you know it’s high time to take the pledge. And with the availability of soya milk, tofu and soya chunks and our delicious vegan recipes, going vegan has never been easier.