Chocolate Devastation Cake
For the cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 lb extra-firm tofu, drained and cubed
1 1/4 cups maple syrup
1 1/4 cups canola oil
3/4 cup vanilla-flavoured soya milk
1/4 cup black-cherry concentrate
1 Tbsp vanilla
• Preheat the oven to 325°F.
• Oil and flour two 8-inch springform pans.
• In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
• Blend the remaining ingredients in a blender until smooth. Whisk into the dry ingredients.
• Pour into the prepared pans. Bake in the centre of the oven for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool completely, or for at least 5 minutes, before removing from the pans.
• Frost with chocolate icing (see below).
For the chocolate icing:
1 cup cocoa powder
1 cup maple syrup
1 1/4 sticks vegan margarine, softened
1 tsp vanilla
Toasted sliced almonds for garnish (optional)
• Process all the ingredients except the almonds in a food processor until silky smooth.
• Spread about 1/3 of the icing on top of one of the cakes and place the second cake on top.
• Cover the top and sides with the remaining icing. Press the almonds into the sides.
Makes 6 to 8 servings