From mushroom leather in the clothing industry and organs-on-a-chip in medical research to classroom dissection using Froguts software, animal use is being rapidly replaced by technology and innovation.
If you can use your talents to help prevent animals from being exploited, you could score a Future Without Speciesism Award.
PETA US is awarding prizes of US$1,000 (approximately Rs 74,525) to US$10,000 (approximately Rs 745,255) to current university students who come up with a game-changing idea and a specific action plan to help animals. This award doesn’t convey ownership rights to PETA US or prevent you from patenting your invention.
Applicants are asked to identify an area in which animals are still exploited and to create a patentable, original idea or prototype that will allow for their replacement.
Inventions should be marketable as a viable alternative to the methods that you seek to replace. Students can work in teams or as individuals. Prize amounts will be determined by PETA US and are based on the workability, practicality, and promise of the suggested alternative.
PETA US will screen applicants’ ideas or inventions for viability, originality, and applicability. Submissions will be continually screened and awards distributed as winners are identified. By submitting this form, you agree to the following terms:
- Proposed inventions must not use anything made from animals or animal-derived materials.
- You attest that your form responses are accurate and contain no misrepresentations, and you agree that the proposed invention or idea is your own original idea and work product that has not been made available to the public in any manner and has not yet been patented.
- The idea, proposed invention, reduced-to-practice idea, or working model must be the work of an undergraduate or graduate student or team of undergraduate or graduate students, either as a class project or as an independent project, and capable of being reproduced.
- Your submission must include substantiation that the invention works (or will work) for its intended purpose.
- Multiple undergraduate or graduate students may apply with a single project, but only one award will be disbursed.
- Receipt of the award is contingent upon your execution of an award acceptance agreement.
No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Open to anyone 18 years or older.