Sri Lankan–Style Curried Mixed-Bean Soup
This flavourful soup tastes best when prepared in a slow cooker (crock pot).
3 cups mixed dry beans
8 cups water
1 medium onion, peeled
8 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp fennel seed
2/3 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
1 6-oz. can tomato paste
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp ground coriander seed
1/2 tsp fenugreek
1/2 tsp ground mustard seed
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
Chopped parsley (optional), for garnish
- Thoroughly wash and clean the mixed beans. Place 6 cups of boiling water and the beans in a crock pot set on medium heat. Cook overnight or for about 8 hours.
- Place the onion, garlic, carrots, fennel seed, coconut and 1 cup of cold water in a blender and blend at high speed until smooth.
- Add the onion mixture to the crock pot and set the heat to high. Rinse out the blender with 1 cup of water and add this to the crock pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Cook for another 4 or more hours, stirring occasionally. Add extra water, if needed, to reach the desired consistency.
- Garnish the soup with chopped parsley, if desired.
Makes 6 to 8 servings