6 dried Chinese black or shiitake mushrooms
1 cup hot water
8 oz uncooked soba noodles or whole-wheat spaghetti
8 oz sliced fresh shiitake, crimini or baby portobello mushrooms
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, sliced
1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Place the dried mushrooms in a small bowl, add the hot water and let stand for approximately 20 minutes, or until soft.
- Cook the noodles according to the package instructions. Set aside.
- Drain the mushrooms, rinse with warm water, and drain again, squeezing out the excess moisture. Remove and discard the stems. Cut the caps into 1/2-inch strips.
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the onion and stir-fry for 5 minutes. Add the teriyaki sauce, reduce the heat and add all the mushrooms. Partially cover and let simmer approximately 2 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the noodles and cilantro. Add the sesame seeds.
Makes 4 servings