- Work with the Rapid Rescue Team (RRT) to attend to animal emergencies on field as required.
- Scout for animals proactively to identify and help those in pain or subjected to cruelty
- Conduct and keep a record of follow-up visits to check on rescued/hospitalised animals and those under treatment.
Term of Employment:
8 hours a day, including some evening and night-time hours, with emergency travel within Mumbai, Thane, and Navi Mumbai, as requested by supervisor.
Manager Veterinary Services
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Coordinate the delivery of PETA’s emergency and cruelty-case response in Mumbai, Thane, and Navi Mumbai as needed in accordance with PETA’s standard operating procedures
- Participate in rescue operations and transport suffering animals to a PETA India–approved local veterinary hospital or animal shelter
- Scout regularly in the assigned area, proactively looking for suffering animals, providing first aid and primary care, and seeking help from veterinarians in serious cases
- Handle and restrain animals in a humane manner
- Carry and use appropriate materials to restrain different species of animals while attending to their emergency care
- Conduct preliminary clinical examinations of animals by taking all the vital clinical measurements and reporting to the veterinary policy advisor (VPA)
- Assess the animals’ condition and diagnose the disease/ailment in consultation with the VPA
- Provide suffering animals with immediate pain management by the administration of analgesics through appropriate route, as advised by the VPA
- Provide animals in need with other primary care and first aid
- Correctly administer medication to suffering animals under the supervision of veterinary officer/manager.
- Demonstrate that potential harm to animals and humans has been considered and that efforts have been made to mitigate it during rescue operations
- Maintain a record, including photos, of animals’ clinical condition, first aid, primary care, and treatment
- Update and maintain the medications, instruments, and equipment in the kit and stock
- Maintain appropriate records of medication, instruments, and equipment issued from the stock
- Manage on-time procurement of medications, instruments, and equipment from vendors by monitoring and maintaining a minimum stock level by informing the manager a By informing the manager about the stock to be replaced on time.
- Ensure maintenance and storage of medications, instruments, and equipment as well as regular sterilisation of instruments and equipment in accordance with standard operating procedures
- Participate in professional development training on animal handling, restraint, first aid, and other lessons key to appropriate emergency and cruelty-case response
- Submit weekly reports
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor
- Diploma or certificate course in minor veterinary practices
- Minimum of two years of clinical experience in handling and treating small and large animals
- Understanding of applied animal behaviour and welfare
- Proven ability to work with animals while ensuring their welfare at all times
- Compassion for animals
- Fluency in Hindi
- Knowledge of other local Indian languages a plus
- Exceptional organisational and time-management skills, including multi-tasking
- Ability to represent the organisation to the public in a professional manner
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion
- Ability and willingness to travel and work during night-time hours
- Professional appearance and adherence to a vegan lifestyle
To apply for a position with PETA India, complete this form