Written by PETA
Posted 06-01-2013, 11:30 AM |
The Hindustan Times has declared June 1 No TV Day. No TV?! What on Earth are you going to do with your time?! Don’t worry – we’ve got plenty of fun, animal-friendly ideas. Instead of watching the “idiot box”, try doing something meaningful for animals. You can do the following five easy things with your spare time on 1 June – and any other day of the year:
- Volunteer at an animal shelter. Nothing on TV is as cute as a kitten racing around, chasing a laser light or a ball of yarn, or just taking a quick nap in your lap. And you can have fun, do a good deed and get some exercise by walking a lonely dog. While you’re there, consider helping out with some chores – cleaning, filing, etc. – because the hardworking shelter staff needs all the help that they can get.
- Stroll on the beach with your best buddy. Of course, don’t forget about your own animal companions. They need attention and exercise, too. You could take your dog for a leisurely walk to the beach or a nearby park to run and play.
- Whip up a vegan dinner for your friends or family members. Be sure to invite the meat-eaters. It will help bring you all closer together and show your relatives that vegan fare can be tasty, healthy and easy to make. Hand out the recipe, or share some of PETA’s tips on going vegan.
- Join PETA! We’d love to have you on board, and it takes only a few minutes to make a membership donation and urge your friends and neighbours to do the same.
- Get active for animals. Check out PETA India’s action alerts and help neglected, abused and exploited animals by writing letters, sending e-mails and making phone calls to companies and politicians, encouraging them to be kind to animals.
Easy, huh? And we bet you can come up with even more ideas to fill those typical TV-watching hours to help animals. So what will you do instead of watching television? We’d love to know.