Make Sweet Vegan Christmas Treats
Seriously, nothing says “happy holidays” like oh-so-decadent baked vegan goodies. Chock-full of deliciousness (and did we mention chocolate?!), sans any “Grinchy” ingredients such as eggs and dairy products, the following festive desserts will help make this the best-tasting Christmas ever – guaranteed!
Cruelty-Free Fa-La-La-La Fruit Cake
Adapted from http://www.vegansociety.com/lifestyle/food/recipes/cakes/fruit-cake.aspx
900 g dried fruit
1 pint rice or soya milk
200 ml vegetable oil
450 g self-rising wholemeal flour
55 g almonds, ground
1 Tbsp molasses
1 lemon rind
Jam or vegan marzipan, for garnish (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients except the jam together in a large bowl. Beat well.
- Pour into a well-greased 9-inch cake tin (one with a detachable base is best). Cover with greaseproof paper.
- Bake for 2 hours at 300°F, then reduce the heat to 250°F and bake for 1 to 2 more hours.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin.
- Top with jam or vegan marzipan, if desired.
Makes 4 to 5 servings
Very Merry Vegan Christmas Pudding
Adapted from http://www.vegansociety.com/lifestyle/food/recipes/christmas/christmas-pudding.aspx
30 g vegan margarine
2 Tbsp black treacle
110 g breadcrumbs
110 g wholemeal flour
3 Tbsp baking powder
110 g dried apricots, chopped
110 g prunes, chopped
300-g mixture currants, sultanas and raisins
110 g soft brown sugar
1 cooking apple, finely grated
1 medium carrot, finely grated
3 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
Juice and grated rind of1 lemon
3 Tbsp sherry
- In a large bowl, cream the margarine and treacle together.
- Add all the other ingredients to the bowl and stir until the mixture attains a “soft dropping” consistency.
- Pour into a basin, leaving about 2 1/2 cm at the top to allow for the pudding to rise. Cover with greaseproof paper and aluminum foil and secure with string.
- Place the basin in a saucepan and add boiling water until it reaches halfway up the sides of the basin.
- Simmer gently for 5 hours. Top the water off as necessary
- Once cooked, the pudding can be kept cold until needed.
- Steam for 2 hours before serving.
Makes 3 to 4 servings
Yummy Vegan Chocolate Muffins
Adapted from http://www.veganpinoy.com/food-recipes-world-fusion-vegan-muffins.php
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup flaked almonds
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup soya milk
2 tsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp orange zest1/3 cup oil
1 cup vegan dark chocolate, melted
Ground nuts, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners or lightly grease the pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl. Add the flaked almonds and sugar and mix well.
- In a separate large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until soft. Add 1/4 cup of the soya milk, followed by the vinegar, vanilla extract, orange zest and oil. Mix well. Add the remaining soya milk and mix again.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix until just combined. Stir in the melted vegan chocolate.
- Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let cool, then garnish with ground nuts and enjoy!
Makes 12 muffins