Cheap Vegan Eats on Almost Every Corner
If you’re looking for some tasty – and inexpensive – vegan eats, you probably won’t have to go further than the local street vendor. The following are some of PETA Youth‘s favourite pocket- and animal-friendly street foods:
- Pani Puri: You can get six savoury pieces of this spicy summertime snack, made with crisp semolina puris, sprouts and deliciously spiced water, for just Rs 30.
- Mirchi Ka Pakoda: These spicy green chilli fritters cost only about Rs 20 for four pieces. They’re especially tasty with mint-coriander chutney.
- Ice Gola: Cool your mouth down after eating green chilli fritters with a refreshing snow cone, typically available in kala khatta, rose or orange, for around only Rs 25.
- Vegetarian Sandwich: We can never get enough of this simple sandwich with schezwan sauce and green chutney. Thankfully, we never have to since it costs only about Rs 20.
- Samosa: Stuffed with savoury potatoes and peas, samosas are popular all across the globe – but you can get them on most every street corner in India for just Rs 10 a piece.
And remember, before you buy, just ask the vendor to make your tasty treat without butter or ghee or else make sure that it’s already made that way. Mmmm. My mouth is watering already. How about yours? Perhaps we’ll run into each other at a nearby street cart, because I’m heading out for a snack!